Now that I am finished with phase one of this quilt I thought I'd give a little update on it. I am surprised at how quickly the 1300+ hexagons were sewn up, I thought it would take a lot longer, but here I am gazing at an overflowing basket of them all waiting to be stitched together.
I began with this handy hexagon calculator so I knew how many I would need to make. I wanted the quilt to be queen size at 85" x 95" and the hexagons are one and a half inches wide so I needed 1362 hexagons plus 41 half hexagons for the edges. I haven't made the half ones yet.
After choosing all the fabrics, mostly from my stash plus a couple of yards of new prints, I cut them into four inch squares. I then cut all the paper templates using this pdf and tutorial. It was pretty time consuming to cut all those out but much quicker than any other way I found on-line.
The paper templates then got pinned to the back of the fabric squares and using large basting stitches, I sewed around them. I notice on-line that lots of people cut their fabric to a larger hexagon rather than a square. I assume the advantage of this is that you have shorter seams when sewing together. I didn't feel like this would bother me so I kept mine as squares. As the quilt progresses I'll let you know if it becomes an issue. Here is a very helpful tutorial on sewing the hexagons to the paper. I didn't cut out the center pieces of paper to attach them to the fabric and that worked out fine.
Obviously I need a new pin cushion to keep all my pins together for this project, so I whipped one up out of felt. And, handily, Claire gifted to me a lovely Liberty suitcase to keep everything in. When the case grew too full I transferred all the finished hexagons to a basket and kept them in fabric groups to assess what I needed more of.
Which brings me to where I am now. Sewing them all together. Initially, I thought I would sew them in flowers then attach them all together but I got a bit carried away and just started randomly sewing them. I'll let you know how it works out.